Thursday, April 12

The Fence-Hopping Fox Hound

Wouldn't that make a kick-ass band and/or song? I only wish I'd come up with it.

So I did wrap up the ACPT puzzles earlier this week, but I think I had blogged myself out last week, and didn't feel like posting about them. Suffice it to say, Bob Klahn's puzzle knocked my socks off, and not in a good way. That thing was probably more of a hair-puller than anything else I'd solved. The theme was based around "spoonerisms," which I wasn't familiar with. So even with a lot of crossing words filled in, I still couldn't figure out what was going on. In the end, I think I only got two of the theme answers filled in, which is really frustrating, especially since I actually got about 90% of the grid filled in. I just hit a wall and couldn't get over it.

So after that, I tackled the last puzzle, and since my ego needed a boost, I used the 'easy' set of clues. Considering the fact that the hardest set of clues was just ridiculous, I don't feel like I missed out on much.

So, overall, it was a lot of fun. The puzzles were all enjoyable, even if they weren't at the time I was working on them. I can't wait until next year, when I can hopefully be at the tourney in person. I may need to start saving now, though, just to be sure. And it's in NYC, which oughta be fun.

I spent tonight cleaning my house. Always fun, of course, though it was nice to have a reason for the cleaning tonight. Company always warrants the removal of any and all cat hair from the premises, save for the hair actually on the cats, of course.

Daisies: Spring cleaning...
Virginia Wolfe: I'll sweep off this mat!
Newscaster: Spring-cleaning...
Peter Wolfe: I'll vacuum the cat.


Yeah, any excuse for a Rocko quote around these parts.

We're getting close to the first game of the season for the Perfectos. We had practice a couple weeks ago, and I actually hit the ball pretty well, which was encouraging. Interesting, though, is I'm a dead pull hitter. Everything was going to right field, save for a few that went to right-center. And almost our entire team is that way. We rarely bothered to have anyone in left during practice. With that in mind, I may hit the cages (ha!) in an effort to work on taking the ball the other way on occasion. Seems like it might be of use.

And how about those Cardinals, eh?

Eh?

Yeah, I can't decide either. The pitching's been pretty good so far, but man, I hope the offense decides to, I don't know, do something. I don't think we can count on Gary Bennett to get 3 hits every night. Though it would be pretty cool.

Noted elsewhere in the Cardinals' blogosphere is the Birds' knack for destroying NL closers this year. Weird. Though I will admit to feeling sorry for Brad Lidge at this point.

And that's all for now.



Dave

No comments: