Thursday, April 5

ACPT--Puzzle 1

My packet 'o fun from the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament arrived today, and despite the assurance I could work these at my leisure, I had to get cracking. I've been waiting too long for this to just let it sit around.

So I'll try and post thoughts about each puzzle as I work them.

#1 was by Paula Gamache. The theme wasyin/yang, clued as "opposite principles in this puzzle," though I'll be damned if I can find any examples of such in the grid. The two longest answers are 'misery index' and 'johnny angel,' which have some opposite-ness, I guess. But beyond that, I'm kinda lost.

I tore through about 2/3 of the grid, then got hung up on some answers I didn't know. Names, mostly, and a couple terms I hadn't come across before. With a fifteen-minute time limit, I finished in 13:15, with about 5 minutes spent trying to force those remaining answers out.

SOme fun fill included etyma (as in etymology), Olmecs, and lisps.

Maybe I'll get the theme, eventually.


Dave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

miserYINdex, johnnYANGel,...

dave said...

And there it is, staring me right in the face.

Thank you kindly for helping me out. And for stopping by.