Wednesday, January 31

Say What?

So here's a fun game--try and describe something like cold. Or hot. Or what about red? If you met someone who, somehow or other, had no concept of what cold was, how would you do it (without sticking their hand in a freezer)? I can't, off the top of my head, come up with a good way to do it. It's just assumed that people know what cold is. Or red.

One definition I found for cold: "having a relatively low temperature; having little or no warmth"

Well, I guess that works, but it doesn't get into the nitty gritty of what cold really feels like. I suppose you can use words like "sharp," or "biting," maybe, but even those don't seem to help all that much.

It's possible, nay likely, that I'm making a bigger deal out of this than need be, but it's still kind of interesting what happens when you take for granted that everyone knows what something means.

Or maybe the recent cold snap has frozen too many of my brain cells.


Dave

No comments: