Thursday, April 1

It's foreign on this side, and I'll not leave my home again...

A couple observations I made today:

1.) I saw myself in Chip's eye. It was quite surreal, really. She was laying on the couch, and I was doing the required TLC that comes with owning a cat, and I was close enough to her face that I could catch my reflection in her eyes. And, I suspect she could see herself in my glasses. What does it all mean? Probably nothing, but it was such an odd sight (ha!) I thought I'd mention it.

2.) I saw the WORST example of driving today. I was on my way home from work, and stopped at the Lindbergh/Clayton intersection for a red light. A car pulls up next to me, stops for about...maybe a second, and drives RIGHT THROUGH the red light. Keep in mind, this is a major intersection, 4 way, left arrows, etc., and this bonehead goes right on through like it's no big deal.

Jeez, people are stupid sometimes.

I ordered a couple Godzilla movies today. It's been a good long while since I've done that. Good times ahead, oh yeah.

I also got a haircut.

I way a little less now.

I had my interview at the Post on Tuesday. Much to my surprise, I got to sign the official stringer contract, but with the caution that it could be some time before I actually get any work. It was weird having my work critiqued my someone in the field. Generally, I show it to friends, family, and coworkers, and it's nothing but "oh this is great," or whatever. But actually getting criticism was odd. Not necessarily bad, just not what I'm used to. And, I don't know how much I can take from said criticism. Most of it seemed to be a case of my getting the backs of heads too often. I think it's worth mentioning that most of those shots were sports, and it can be tricky, because everything is so split second, and it can be hard to get every little detail down. Something to work on, of course.

So, we got through all my stuff, and maybe 4 or 5 of the 30 I showed were considered quality work to base a portfolio around. Maybe I was too attached to the other stuff, but I think the rest was pretty solid, on par with some other work I've seen. Then we look at work from other stringers, so he could show me 'what I'm up against,' and I was getting the impression that it was a case of 'you're stuff isn't good enough, come back later.'

Apparently not. I dunno. Maybe you just had to be there, but it was just a bit hard to figure out where I stood in the Scheme of Things.

But, I'm in. Again, apparently.

On the bright side, I have an absolutely wonderful layout in this week's NorCo Journal Life section. So for those who can, check it out. I can't, because it wasn't delivered, had to look at the library. But I shall request a copy, oh yes.

And.....I think that's about it.



there's no place to hide, but I don't think I'm scared,
Dave

No comments: