Monday, February 6

Third and Long

Here's the best thing I learned after Super Bowl Extra-Large* last night: it is the best time to go to the store. Nary a soul in sight, which makes for easy in and easy out.

Something else about the game that Janice and I agreed on: even people who rarely, if ever, watch football, will take in the Super Bowl. Why is that? Is it the ads? The parties, and by default, food and beer? Is it some sense of obligation? I mean, who wants to be the individual come Monday morning who didn't watch the game? You'd have no one to talk to for days, leading to a sense of moral inferiority, and probably from that, severe isolationism and a life of cats and knitting**. No one would call, save for your mom, and people would say "he used to be such a nice, normal young man. Where did we go wrong?"

All because of a stupid football game!

But that's not why I watched it. I already have cats.

Janice made the good point that unlike hockey, baseball, basketball, and curling, the SB is it. No best-of-seven series. You lose and you're out. So there's more drama, such as it is. I don't consider football to be very dramatic, since the game doesn't tend to have much ebb and flow, save for big interceptions and what-not. I guess I have a passing interest in the game itself, because when it's good, it's not all that bad. And, yes, the commercials are usually worth taking a look at.

But that raises another question: when did advertising for the Stupor Bowl get to be such a big deal? And whatever happened to cat herder?



meow
Dave




*I realize everyone and their brother has made that joke, but I don't really care.

**And, of course, all your supplies would have to be bought on the black market, via shady yarn distributors on street corners.^

^A reference to a tangental conversation we had during a meeting at work today. Maybe you had to be there.#

#How about my footnote-within a footnote-within a footnote. Cool, huh>

No comments: