Friday, April 29

Point and Shoot

So I have to shoot two weddings this summer. Not something I can say I've done before. I'm not worried, per se, but I do want to be sure I don't mess things up. It's not like I can go and reshoot if need be. Well, maybe I could, but there would be an enormous hassle for all parties involved.

To that end, I've been looking at books on wedding photography for ideas on what I think looks good and what I think looks exceptionally lame. Or tacky. Or both. Really, it's just for the after-ceremony posed shots with the bride, groom, parents, cousins, ushers, and the little old lady who plays the organ so nicely. She really did do a nice job, didn't she? The choices were well-thought out, and added a nice element to the proceed...

Wait.

Um. Posed pictures. Yes. I hate...well, strongly dislike posing people. A nice portrait is fine, but I'm no good at the set-up, hence the books. The rest should be fine, since it's essentially one big event, and events are what I do all the time.

In the course of finding books, I'm aamazed at the number of "How To" books in the photo section at the library. How to Shoot Your Kids*, How to Shoot Babies, How to Photograph Your Pets, Photographing Landscapes/Cityscapes, How to Photogrpah Nature, Photographing That Stain on the Wall that May or May Not Resemble Aunt Ruth, and so on. Quite silly, I think. A nice book on the Photo Fundamentals is all fine and dandy. I say the best way to find out what works and what doesn't (once you know what you're doing) is just to get out there and start shooting. "Film is cheap" was the mantra at Webster**. Digital makes it even easier to get out and practice, but I say start with film and then move up. But then still shoot film. Or even better, slides. Really. Go try. Digital may be quick, but there's a certain something film brings to the table digital doesn't match for me. Especially in low-lit areas. Underexpose with film, and you might see some grain, which can sometimes look nice. Underexpose with digital and you wind up with digital noise, which, to me, is just plain ugly.

This is merely my take on things, of course. Oh: and if any of you have shot a wedding or three and have any ideas, advice, etc, please let me know.



Smile!
Dave




*Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking.

**This is only because all other camera gear is so damn expensive. Good film can be a bit pricey, although it's worth every penny.

No comments: