Tuesday, April 5

I'm ready for the balls and the...bat.

The Cardinals, while not panicking, understand the position they find themselves in today: not in first. The stunning development---the first time since last May 30 that the Cardinals found themselves below first place---has the team speculating on what they need to do to get back on top:

"We need to play a game," said skipper Tony LaRussa. "That would be a start."

Still, with just 162 games left to go in the regular season, some fans wonder whether the team has enough in the tank to catch the Cubs, the Reds and the surprising Brewers, all of whom sit atop the N.L. Central. "It's disappointing, so far," said George Andrews, a Cardinal rooter from Painesville, OH, who arrived this afternoon in St. Louis after driving eight hours to see Opening Day. "I haven't seen much from any of the new guys, but, hopefully, they'll start to perform before it's too late." When told that tonight's Cardinal opener is being played in Houston---not St. Louis---Edwards said, "That seems really stupid. Opening Day should be at home."

Got this over at The Birdwatch. Pretty amusing, I think. It's yet to sink in that today is the Cardinal's opening day, albeit in Houston. Home opener is Friday night against Philly, I believe.

According to mum, who never lies; ever, all baptized males are eligible to be elected Pope. They've just been choosing Cardinals for the past million years or so. I tell you what, if the Yankees hadn't swooped in and grabbed my man Womack, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. He'd be the best...no, wait a minute. Wrong kind of Cardinal. Um, yeah. Going back to the beginning: she suggested I could be Pope. I had to say no, if only because I had no good way of telling Janice I was breaking up with her to go lead the Catholic Church. A valid reason, yes, but how do you break that to someone? Although, as mom poined out, the Vatican would be great for family reunions. A tough call, yes, but I think I'll leave the Papacy to those in the know. Plus, I don't know Latin. Dominus Pizza delivery or something, I don't know.

All joking aside, I'm sorry the JP died, although he's probably more comfortable now than he'd been in a long while. Plus, the idea of a new Pope is a bit exciting. Learning all the ins and outs of the process makes the religion a bit more interesting too, mostly because I've never had to think about it. There's just always been a Pope. So this oughta be fun.

Requiescat in pace, Carol Wojtyla, a great friend to the world's poor. And a great wearer of Fly shades.


Dave

No comments: