Tuesday, April 19

Looks like we're gonna have to jump!

I know this is one of those things that probably gets bandied about quite often, but that's as may be. I'm gonna talk about it anyway.

So there.

I am, by society's (and genetic's) definition: a Guy. This automatically makes me unable to understand a lot of stuff. For example: what's the big deal about going to the bathroom in large groups? Is there something in Women's rooms that I'm missing? Cable? High-speed internet? Pizza rolls? I mean, as a guy, I go in, take care of business, and get out, all on my own. But to see girls go hit the can solo is quite rare.*

But!

That's beside my point. I'm here to talk about the "romantic comedy," or "rom-com" to those "in the know," by which I mean the guy across the street. For example, we'll be using the J-Lo vehicle The Wedding Planner. I watched a portion of it on Sunday, although not by my choosing. Maybe it was a step up from HSN, but still. Is watching the Braves and Phillies that bad?

Anyways.

After watching an hour or so of said film, I cannot, for the life of me, get the appeal of such films. I mean, the entire movie hinges on the fact that Ms. Lo gets her shoe caught in a manhole cover and won't bend down and take the shoe off, even though a dumpster is careening right towards her. God forbid she put her cell phone down for a second and take her shoe off. Nonono. If she did that, she wouldn't get rescued by a hunky guy and we wouldn't have a movie. I won't even discuss the silliness of the rest, because the pivotal point of the film is so preposterous to begin with.

So what's the appeal? Things like that don't happen in real life, and if they do, I pray most people exercise a bit more common sense. It's just a shoe!

That said, there are two of the "rom-coms" I do like: AmeliƩ and Love, Actually. Both are quite amusing, and while featuring situations that probably would never actually happen, they do it well enough to where I don't mind. One os British, which helps a lot, and the other is French, which may not make the film any better, but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm not condemning anyone who does enjoy such films, mind you, I'm just trying to figure out why they do so well when they're almost all the same, and really leave little drama as to what will happen at the end (Will they get together???). Maybe it's just a bit of escapism or something. I'm sure most of my beefs could be reworded and thrown back at me about Godzilla movies, except the first one, of course.

And, well, I think that's about it. Imagine that: a long post on one topic only. Weirdness.


Let's... trace! Let's trace some drawings!
Dave



*Of course, the bathroom in my house is out, since I can only accomodate one person. I bet if I had two stalls, or what-not, I'd have extra persons in there.

No comments: