Thursday, January 5

Return of the Mudslingers

Ah.

After a year off doing, well, whatever musical geniuses (genii?) do when not touring, they are coming back to us once again with new music and a new tour. Perhaps you've forgotten them?

-A being from the year 2050 wielding the mighty synth-axe drumitar.
-A bass player who plays so much bass guitar they use all three of his names.
-A one-man horn section who likes wearing his hair upside-down.
-Some guy on banjo who's so good, they named the band after him.

Mmmm. The Flecktones are back with new music and, even better, a new tour. Not to slight the album, of course, but I like seeing the band in person more than listening to them on CD. What makes the tour really cool is getting to see them on back-to-back nights in KC and STL in a couple months. A week earlier, Cowboy Mouth will be in town supporting their new album. And, a few short weeks after the 'Tones shows, Blue Öyster Cult will be in town for a couple shows. No new music to support in their case, just a bunch of old farts playing loud rock 'n roll. The fun thing about a BOC show is that I'm usually the youngest in a crowd of guys in their 40s. Whoo! However, if Janice comes, I'll have someone younger than me for a change.

So March/April are shaping up to be good music months. February, too, since the new 'Tones and CM albums come out on consecutive weeks.

Also just a few weeks away: pitchers and catchers report to Florida or wherever for Spring Training. After a dismal Rams', and a pretty ho-hum Blues team, it'll be nice to have baseball back once again. Shoot, I might even be able to get excited about Larry Bigbie. Went downtown last week for a SLU Billikins game at Savvis, and caught a glimpse of where Busch used to be, and where it is now, if you catch my drift. I hadn't seen old Busch since the end of last season, so seeing a bunch of nothing where it should be was pretty weird. New pictures of construction show the infield beginning to take shape at Busch II, which made me smile. It's looking like a pretty snazzy joint. Although traffic on 40 should be extra-careful on game nights, just in case.

Yeah, early ought-six is looking pretty good. On the horizon, my car insurance will go down in September, janice goes legal later this month, and I'm going to try my hand at growing some veggies in my yard.


Good times a-comin'.
Dave

No comments: