Tuesday, July 5

Come Fourth on July!

I have two words to describe my recent Holiday of the Month:


On weeeeeeed!!!

Yep. Fireworks: on weeeeeeed!!! Hats: on weeeeeeeed!!! So sayeth the drunk guys on the "boat" out on the lake. And hey, if you can't trust drunk guys on a sinking pontoon boat with no engine and no means of getting to shore, who can you trust?

I also rained. Heavily. For a while. Then it stopped and the humidity got our chips a bit soggy. But! I did have fun. On weed or not, I always like fireworks. I enjoy shuffleboard, even when I stink. And little kids bes cute. So there.

On weeeeeeed!!!

One of the things I often bemoan is the fact I can't see some of my favorite bands in their hey-day. A lot of acts are still touring (Rush, Stones, Blue Oyster Cult, Moody Blues, Deep Purple etc), but it's more than likely not the same as seeing them when they were, well, not quite so old. And, in some cases, still with the original members. Lynyrd Skynyrd, for example, has, I think, not one member of the original lineup left. And no one seems to mind, for some reason. Rush, though, seems to be getting better as they go, which is almost as odd as how Geddy Lee can sing like that.

Out of all the "old" groups, I most missed getting to see Pink Floyd when Roger Waters was still in the group. The classic* lineup hadn't toured since 1981, when they did The Wall, and I wasn't quite born yet. I saw Roger Waters' solo tour back in '99, and figured that would have to suffice, since the Floyd, as they were, hadn't toured since '96, and were more or less defunct, I imagine. But, as I mentioned in the last post, Bob Geldof managed to get them talking and together again for the Live 8 concert in London on Saturday. For twenty wonderful minutes, there they were: Roger, Rick, Nick, and Dave, on stage for the first time in 23 years (as long as I've been alive!), playing Breathe, Money, Wish You Were Here, and Comfortably Numb. MTV/VH1, for some reason actually showed almost all of the performance without interruption. The easily-forgettable talking heads they employ came in towards the end of CN to talk about how cool it was the Floyd were together again, which anyone watching probably knew already. They went back as Dave Gilmour played his solo, but decided to go to commercial before the song ended. Of course. I did find a video of the whole segment online, so it's okay, but still. The less said of MTV/VH1's "coverage," the better.

That said, you should all go here or here and add your name to the lists. It's quick, and it won't cost you a dime.

And that ends my socio-political segment to the post.

I think it ends my post, too.



On weeeeeeed!!!
Dave




*I can't say original, since that would require Syd Barret in the band, and not Dave Gilmour.

No comments: