Tuesday, May 31

Into the Heart

Back in the day, some readers may recall a feature they used to do on the Point (KPNT) called, aptly enough, 'What's the Point?'. I think that was the title. Anyways, someone would send in a list of seemingly random songs, but upon closer inspection, sharp listeners could detect a way all the songs were related. I was never too good at it, but I did start in on a list of my own:

1.) Pretty Noose--Soundgarden
2.) Revolver--Rage Against the Machine
3.) Monkey Wrench--Foo Fighters

10 points to anyone who can get the theme and another 10 points to someone who can add another asong or two.

A few things I've always liked about Soundgarden:

1.) Matt Cameron--drummer extraordinaire
2.) Kim Thayill--good guitarist, creepy looking dude
3.) Spoonman--come on! a spoon solo, for crying out loud
4.) Chris Cornell--specifically, his vocal chords

Cowboy Mouth was Sunday. A good time was had my all, including our first-timers who were apparently going as nuts as any veteran of nearly 15 shows. Not that I know anyone like that...I'm too lazy for a show recap, but I can say this: the new material is as good as anything they've done in a loooong time. It's nice to see that the band as a whole seems to be contributing new material. Fred introduced 'Disconnected' with a little "uno, dos, tres, catorce." Fred rocks. As do Paul, Griff, and Sonia.

I can't decide if Tom Morrello's weird approach to guitar soloing is really cool or God-awful annoying. It varies on my mood, I guess.

One annoying thing about the guitar is how I can go from thinking I sound great to not being able to play a single note I like. I think I tend to hit ruts, and everything I play sounds (to me) pretty crappy. Or at least too similar to what I always play. The trick is to learn enough new songs to keep the idea well from going dry. I'm the first to admit I don't do that enough, so I think I'm going to take some time to learn a few new songs. I worked on some Collective Soul songs to much success last night, so we'll see what the week brings. Lessons were good for that, so I'm actually going to have to do it on my own this time. Jeez...

Does anyone know anything about the Futureheads? I heard a song of theirs yesterday and thought it was pretty good stuff.

'Half-Blood Prince' has been reserved. Should be good times ahead. Personally, I think it's Snape...



Oh, I don't know. Make something up.
Dave

No comments: