Saturday, March 17

What's an Irish Boy From a Good Family Doing in the Gutter?

So with today being, apparently, the Day of Patrick the Saint, I did the only thing I could think of that was in keeping with the intended spirit of the day: I sat outside in the cold and occasional snow to watch a baseball game, as one tends to do.

And I had a Guinness. Guiness? Too lazy to go look it up. You know what I mean.

The team in question is the St. Louis Perfectos, of which friend Karl is a member. It's a throwback-type league, playing by 1860s-era rules. It's not vastly different, though there are a few interesting twists.

-If a fielder catched a fly ball/line drive off one hop, an out is still recorded/
-Foul balls don't count as strikes.
-Foul tips, though, are subject to the first rule.
-The secondbaseman has to stay within two strides of the bag when runners are on.
-No overrunning first base. If you do, you can get tagged out.
-No gloves!

And others, I'm sure, but I can't remember them. It's all a lot of fun, though. Everyone has a nickname, and are referred to as such. There's only one umpire, and he hangs out around the plate. Close plays out on the bases are on the honor system.

This was the first game of the season, traditionally played on St. Patty's Day. Or thereabouts. Because you know how the Irish loved their baseball.

It was also a doubleheader, and since the team was going to be a little short, I volunteered my services. So I stepped onto a baseball field as a player for the first time since.....well, it's been a long time. I even got to play second base, which is where I always wanted to play in grade school.

I didn't hit for beans, but I did alright in the field, turning a couple plays, and generally not looking like an idiot. My nickname was either Picard/Shutterbug/Brady, depending on who was talking to me. Someone also suggested Tin Type, which I really like.

And even better?

I'll be joining up as full-time member. Suh-weet. The season doesn't pick up again until mid-April, so I can get some practice in and maybe head over to a batting cage to get some swings in.

So now I'll be playing three sports.

Kick-ass. I can't wait.


yours,
(Matthew) Brady

No comments: