Saturday, December 3

Miscellaneous Music Musings

One of the the great things in life, I think, is hearing a song on the radio you haven't heard in many a year, and remembering how cool it was back in the day when it was new. Such was the case a few months ago, when I heard one of my favorites from my Point days while driving home from the store on 93X. As is often the case, no one told me the name of the song when it ended (That seems to happen a lot to me. Same thing happened with Joe Walsh's 'Life's Been Good.'). And, unfortunately, my tried and true method of catching a lyric fragment and googling it to find the song was no use, as the only thing I could make out was "just like" repeated at the end. Still, I gave it a go, but to no avail. For whatever reason, I decided I'd give it a go again yesterday. I tried the Google approach, and ever several variations (no boolean operators, though), got fed up and switched to Yahoo. Much to my surprise, and delight, the second search result yielded what I was looking for. The name of the band, long lost in my mind, but not entirely forgotten, is Spacehog, and the song is 'In the Meantime.' Thanks to iTunes, it's now in my library.

Yay internet!

I think it's about time to address one of the greatest issues any rock and roll fan has to come to terms with and decide on: Van Halen or Van Hagar*? I used to be a firm supporter of the original Van Halen, mostly because the Hagar years seemed, well, kinda sissy. I mean, 'Dreams'? 'Why Can't This Be Love'? Keyboards and synths? What happened to Dave, the spandex, heavy guitars, and 'Hot For Teacher'? 'Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love'?

Thanks, but no thanks. After getting to know the Red Rocker a bit more, muscially, I started warming to the Van Hagar material a bit more, and decided it wasn't that bad, and, maybe, just maybe, it was what I preferred. In the end though, I gotta go with Van Halen. There's an unmistakable attitude running through that stuff that's really hard to top. It's loud, in your face, and there aren't any wimpy synths anywhere, except for 'Jump,' which isn't sappy at all, so it can get away with it.

And, really, I think Dave pulled off the tights better than Sammy did. But that's just me.

Another dilemma that I've yet to answer: if I'm forming a band, do I take Vic or Stu?

After almost 9 months, the U2 countdown stands at just about a week and a half. Self-imposed U2 exile has worked pretty well, mostly. I've had no contact with websites to spoil the surprise, and, although unplanned, I've not listened to much actual music, so the experience should be as fresh as possible.

Also cool: March 24, Cowboy Mouth. March 31/April 1, Flecktones.

Woot.


All in all, we love the all of you.
Dave

I'm choosing to ignore the short-lived Gary Charone era, since it kinda sucked.

No comments: