Saturday, March 4

30 Seconds in Hell

Who knew that 30 ticks off a clock could be such an interminably long time? Maybe not in and of itself, but 3 hours worth of 30 second countdowns in a 'virtual waiting room,' hoping against all hope for an opportunity to buy some Cardinals' tickets is an agony heretofore unknown in these parts. I mean, these are baseball tickets, fer God's sake! Up until last year, really, buying seats for a baseball game was a regular old sbu walk. Go to the stadium, head to ticket window, and grab a couple nosebleed seats. But go and open a new stadium, and everyone and their mother is in on it. And, in the end, victory was had not once, but thrice (!) on this end, and once on the mother's end. So four games will be attended, and hopefully, it'll be a team worthy of the time spent staring at a little window with a countdown.

Back when we would spend the weekend at dad's "flat" on Tesson Ferry, we'd occasionally hit the nearby antique mall to go...antiqueing. I don't recall exactly what we would find, but there were usually a few things that would always catch my eye.* So it was with great expectations that I headed to an antique mall/consignment center near mom's house this afternoon. And, thankfully, it did not disappoint. Plenty of old egg beaters, cast iron skillets, and crappy movies abounded. I saw at least 4 copies of Titanic laying around, which makes me wonder what all the fuss was about. There were, in one box, no fewer than three copies of the old NES game Blades of Steel, which we owned at one time. There was a horribly beat up ukelele. And, I kid you not, there was a set of ceramic thimbles with all 12 disciples painted on them. Yes! Simon, called Peter! Matthew! James! And, in all his glory, Judas Iscariot! And they were all smiling, so far as I could tell. I swear, if they weren't $8, I would have bought them.

I have not much else to say. Special hello to Aunt Diane, who made her first, and likely only, visit to this little section of the Web. Shout out to the Gooch, who had 2 of the Cardinals' four hits today.


I was very professional. You're fired.
Dave





*Usually my left. My right eye is too smart to be fooled by such goings-on.

No comments: