Monday, March 20

Pick it Out

Banjo shopping is harder than I expected. For starters, the prices aren't as evenly dispersed as they are with guitars. I know I can find a good axe within the $400-600 range. With banjos, it seems like I can either spend a few hundred bucks on something that's "eh," or go right up to the thousands for something "wow." I actually saw one that listed for over $20,000. I can't ever see myself dropping that much on any instrument. I've come across a few that seem like they might work, but I suspect my best bet is to go sit down and play with a few to see what seems best. And by 'play with a few,' I mean, 'pick at some strings because I have no idea how to properly play a banjo.'

Of course, that means I have to sit down and learn how to play the thing from scratch, since I figure a lot of what I know from the guitar won't carry over. But I could be wrong. Either way, I'll have to dedicate some time to really working on it. So we'll see. I don't want to drop a chunk of change on something only to have it sit around and collect dust.

Speaking of chunks of change...apparently the only reason I bought a new stove was so I could bake cookies for everyone at work. I must have missed that bit when I got it from the appliance store. Because I have all this time to randomly make baked goods. I haven't even baked myself anything yet. Which is annoying. it's one of those 'things,' I suppose. I got a spiffy new stand mixer for Christmas, but haven't used it as much as I'd like. I get a new stove/over, and I've hardly had time to really cook anything. Conversely, I got a new car and use it all the time. Weird, huh?

Spring is here and we're supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow tonight. In St. Louis speak, that means 4-8 inches or nothing at all. I would not be surprised, however, if Opening Day is snowed out. It has happened before, so you never know.

I need Real Baseball, though. Spring training just doesn't do it for me, for some reason.

Cowboy Mouth this week. Double dose of the 'Tones next week. Life is good.



Dave

No comments: