Monday, August 15

Dripping Yellow Madness

I wonder how long it took some of today's (and yesterday's) big bands to come up with a name for themselves. I know U2 went by 'Feedback,' 'the Hype,' and, of course, 'the Larry Mullen Band' before settling on U2, but how long did it take them to arrive at that decision? Were there hours of heated debates between larry, Bono, and Edge? Adam, of course, was too cool for any of that, He probably just sat around looking rather disinterested underneath his 'fro, maybe smoking a cigarette until it all blew over.

I only wonder this because my group for Son of Band Scramble came up with a name within an hour or so during our first practice Friday night. It all started with a discussion of our birthdays and what the traits were for each sign (or what is suppposed to be a trait). Virgos (me) are, apparently, more anal than most, to which I repliedI didn't think I was all that anal, except when it came to unnecessary apostrophes. I pointed out the case of "Autograph's Plus," the ill-fated store formerly of the Mills Mall, which closed a few months ago. I think it had everything to do with poor grammar. Anywho, the rest of the band decided that a.) my grammar obsession indeed made me anal, and b.) "Unnecessary Apostrophes" would be a good name for the band. So that's us. And we had the core of our three songs by the end of the first practice. By the end of practice two, the three were coming along quite nicely. It's a very good group, I must say. The lead singer(s) don't suck, and our "other" gal plays actual insturments--sax, bari sax, and flute. It's like having Jeff Coffin in the same room! And she plays them really well, so all the better. August 27th, friends, at Frederick's Music Lounge. You of the 21+ type have no reasons not to attend.*

Other quick hits:

-flat tire: I think 'flat' is too light a term. I backed over a raised sewer, and had a hole large enough to stick my hand through. Anyone with a better term for that is wlecome to suggest it.

-branch on the roof!


Eh....I lost interest. Now I'm too lazy to even wrap this up properly.


Cool tapes are cool, and we like it like that!
Dave





*In case you've missed the other plugs for the show. I never claimed to be subtle.

No comments: