Thursday, January 6

Bagel? Mmm, yeah, alright.

With Steve's successive viewing of The Princess Bride, I think that leaves me as one of the few people on earth who have yet to watch it. It's just as well, though, as watching it would loer my standing in the club I started with Matt over at JB. I don't think we ever officially named it, but it went along the lines of Guys Who Haven't Seen Movies They "Should" Have Seen. My list, as best I can remember:

-The Princess Bride
-It's a Wonderful Life
-Titanic
-Casblanca

Others, I'm sure. It should be noted I have seen Gone With the Wind, which should count for something, since the movie runs just under 3 weeks (not counting the intermission). To my surprise, I kinda like it, even though Ms. O'Hara had the ability to make me want to reach into the movie and slap her for five minutes steady. But that Clark Gable sure is easy on the eyes, eh?

I'm also reminded of another fine group we started at JB. That, of course, is the...covert-spy-something-or-other faction S.C.Y.T.H.E. For those not in the know, that stands for Special Consulting Youths that Have Energy. You may not be surprised, but we built the acronym around the name, because scythe is a cool word, and sounds sinster if used properly. Alas, we never got anywhere with it. Not even ID cards. I think we only had 4, maybe 5 members. Our arch-rivals were...um...W.H.E.A.T.--Women Have Empathic Abilities Today. A group consisting of one person, I think, and named soley because....well, I'm sure you can figure out why.

Yes, we were silly. But we had fun!

So there.

I put in my notice, such as it was, at lessons last night. This shall be my last month. After 5+ years, I think I've reached a point where there's not much more I can get out of lessons. Certainly there's more to learn, but it seems like most of our time is spent working on songs. From a technical standpoint, I suppose it's fine, but it gets old after a bit. Another big factor is the fact I don't have as much time to just sit and play as I'd like. I blame work mostly. Finding two hours or so to just sit and work on songs and such is pretty hard these days. Sigh. I'm not crazy about quitting. It's always a nice break, and my teacher's a great guy, but I think the time has come. Maybe someday I'll pick them up again. We'll see.

I've also backed down on my plan to wait until Spring Training to get cable again. I will admit to missing it a little bit these days, especially when I just need to have something on in the background. I miss watching my man Alton Brown, too. It also turns out I miss infomercials, but I'd prefer to keep that secret.

Whoops.

Well, at least they have a 3-month special for $29.99, so that'll be nice.

I've eased back into this "working" thing better than I thought I might. I considered only working one day this week so I could better slip back into the routine. After all, coming back and working 5 full days after nearly two weeks off could have been a big shock to my system. I ended up deciding I should just jump right in. So far, so good. Still have today and tomorrow left, so we'll see what happens.

Speaking of, working would probably be a good idea.


I'll call it the super question machine!
Dave

No comments: