Tuesday, November 22

Maverick!

So.

I'm listening to the 'Top Gun Anthem,' which, for an '80s insturmental-type piece of music, isn't too bad. Steve Stevens, he of the lazy parents and Billy Idol guitarist, played the piece. And, being '80s metal, it has copious amounts of tapping and speed for speed's sake. But it's still a pretty good tune.

But what about the movie? Back in the day, before I knew who Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer were, it was one of my favorites. Probably some kind of 'guy thing.' Planes, fast cars, explosions, and what not. And when Dr. Green died because of a faulty ejector, I was just as sad as Maverick. Poor Dr. Goose. And James Tolkan is still cool in my book.

And then I got to thinking: if I sat down tomorrow and watched the movie, would I still like it? Or would the sheer '80s nonsense and its Jerry "ka-boom" Bruckheimer inanity overwhelm it? It seems to happen a lot with things I liked as a kid: Voltron, Transformers, and the like. Watching them now, it's amazing how goofy they were. Then again, they were, essentially, 30-minute commercials. And, since I still buy the occasional Transformer, they were pretty good ads.

And what if the inverse is true: since things I liked when I was a kid turned out to be a bit goofier and maybe not quite as good as I remember, what if things from the last ten years or so that I hated turned out to be good. What if it turns out that, shudder, Wing Commaber is actually.......good?

I'm not sure I could take that.


No. No. Wing Commander has, and always will, suck. Lots.


Dave

No comments: