Wednesday, October 12

Red Fever Pt. Deux

I was originally going to complain about everyone's obsession over Houston's "Big Three" in there starting rotation, but then I decided not to, mostly I got lazy. And, come on, does anyone really expect FDR, Stalin, and Churchill to be any match for the likes of Pujols, Walker, and JEdmonds?

I think not.

All joking aside, though, it does seem as though a lot of people just assume there's no way on earth we're going to be able to beat Houston just because of pitching. But, as is often bandied about here in the office, that's why they play the games. And, if we lose, we lose. But I don't think we're going to lose.

I think, instead, I'm going to talk about something even more relevant than Houston's pitchers: playoff superstitions. I'm not normally prone to such things: black cats, ladders, mirrors--bah, I say. Just a bunch of hoo-ha. But come playoff time, all bets are off. To wit: I wore my Cards jersey to the penultimate game of the season, and we won (9-6). I wore it all through the first round, on days we had games, and the Cards swept (by scores of 8-5, 6-2, and 7-5). So not only did we win those games, but we averaged 7.5 runs a game when I wore this thing. Obviously, this leads to two conclusions: 1.) Wearing this thing on game day is essential, and 2.) whatever mojo this thing is carrying right now is pretty potent, so washing it is a big no-no, until we lose. Ideally, I don't wash this until the end of the month, if you catch my drift. Yeah, it's smelling just a bit, but damn it, these are the freaking playoffs! These are not times to be messing with good mojo.

But what about "freshening up" the jersey? Would running it in the drier with a fabric sheet ruin any power this has? What about Febreeze? Could a couple sprays lead to bullpen issues? Scary stuff, indeed, which is why I don't mess with it.


See? One little playoff series and I go all wacko on gamedays. Just like the morons at Fox, who gave the Angels/ChiSox game the slot on the network, while our game is being bumped to FX. Good thing I get cable. This time last year, I was cableless, and listened to the games on KMOX, which is really a better way to go.


I woke up at 7 this morning, and heard two things: 1.) someone on the radio telling me that the tornado sirens were going off, and 2.) said siren shutting down. There were no tornadoes or air raids, o it must have been a goof. Or a really sneaky way to get me out of bed, which I may have needed to do, but sure didn't want to do. In the end, responsibility won out, and I got up, and now I'm here at work.

And that's that.


Taking the vowels out of words doesn't always make them cool.
Dave

No comments: